Subject: Re: Stereo Imaging -Reply
From: David Warner <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 14:38:53 -0500

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Alan Lloyd wrote:

> I think this is a post-processing thing, more likely.  What platform are you
> on?  I recall there are/were Amiga applications that would do the 
> 3D-glasses thing.  Otherwise, I suspect you'd end up rendering it twice 
> from slightly differing perspectives (optical parallax) and changing 
> overall coloration to match the glasses.  Post would most likely be 
> faster/easier.

I may have missed it, but I haven't seen anything mentioned about 
field-rendering yet.  I've never tried this, but is it possible to tell 
LightWave to render, like, every even field and then render every odd field?

If so, it would be fairly easy to set up a Left-eye and Right-eye view 
for the animation, and render each view with different fields.

I'll have to check through some of the recent AmigaReport issues, but I 
definitely remember reading about some new shutter-type 3D goggles for 
the Amiga that would probably work quite well.  

Another (not as pretty) way to make the 3D effect work with regular 
video-tape and them funky red-blue glasses would be to render everything 
in shades of grey (turn Saturation in the Effects panel way down) and then 
colorize each field, correctly, in post processing.  That should do the 
trick.

                                     -David Warner
                                      [email-masked]
                                      http://www.albany.net/~dwarner